Oh my goodness. As I said in the voicemail message I left for my current boss, you go away for a day and the whole place falls apart. Today is one of my days off. This morning, I had my second emergency -er- unscheduled dentist visit in 24 hours, went off for a swim, and bought cider for a potluck tomorrow.
When I came home, I checked my work e-mail and saw notice of an all-employees meeting for mid-morning. Then there were a few more messages sent out to the company discussing staying in touch. I called my best contact there and learned that funding was not renewed; the company is closing its doors soon.
I am grateful for my extra-strong spidey-sense that started tingling a while back. To develop it, I was not bitten by a radioactive spider, but by radioactive companies. Twice. And this is the second major shuttering I've just narrowly avoided, so I guess that makes four.
Alas. We all worked really hard. We did good work under very difficult circumstances. And now in addition to no thanks and "no holiday party, but sure you can have a potluck lunch" we all get this lovely Christmas present.
The people I worked with (who are all good, talented people, nary a dead log amongst the lot of them) should find jobs fairly quickly. The market is fairly hot right now and I think they will all get glowing references. But oh, how very sad.
Tuesday, December 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It's good news that the job market is so much better than it was (and that you landed a new job in advance of this shutdown), but it still surprises me that so many businesses don't make it. You'd think that investors would do a better job of vetting business plans and management teams before letting things get to this point.
Post a Comment