Wednesday, November 21, 2007

tooth drama, continued

Yesterday, I had another uncomfortable session in my dentist's chair. It wasn't painful, but it did make me squirm. I don't actually see the dentist very often except for a quick check and a "you're doing great" at the end of my twice-yearly cleanings. But now that I've developed lots of cracks in my teeth, I think he and I are going to get to know each other a little better.

So tooth number 1 is gone. It took about two weeks to recover from the ordeal, and there are many more steps --and months-- to go before we're done with the former #18.

Yesterday, I underwent work on the next tooth. I guess the good news is that I don't need a root canal (which I didn't realize was under consideration). The doc knocked out the filling, replaced it (with cool ultraviolet technology -- I like that part) and told me I need a crown. It will be gold. I will feel like trailer trash, but that's just me. (He claims that because it's in the back of my mouth, no one will ever see it.)

Next up, and just before Christmas, is the third tooth. Given that it's been throbbing of late, I'm a little concerned about its prognosis. Maybe it's just vibrating sympathetically with its buddies. We'll see.

My dentist purports to specialize in scaredy cats. Here's what many of the dentists I've dealt with so far have said "You did great!" (with an implied "I know it was hard"). Here's what my dentist said yesterday: "You know, you're just going to have to learn to relax. When I work on the crown, I'm going to be drilling at least ten times as long."

Oh joy. So the guys (and gals) who don't claim to help scaredy cats are far more sympathetic and encouraging than the one who puts his claim right on the hanging sign outside his office. On top of that, the dentist did something yesterday that was supposed to further inspire my trust but made me trust him a little less.

The thing is that I'm now partway into this mess and I do admit that this guy is a good craftsman. I do care about that, not so I can look like better trailer trash but so that I can feel more comfortable.

No comments: