Friday, April 20, 2007

small town life

This morning, a friend and I arranged to meet at the local coffee house for a mid-morning break. It was such a lovely day that when we arrived, we decided to sit outside in the full sun.

Shortly after we sat down, a rather geeky looking guy came up to us and asked "Are you the two women I met a few months ago who live on Maple Street?" We quickly went through our mental rolodexes to figure out which women he might be confusing us with, said no, and before we realized what was happening, he invited himself to sit down with us after he got coffee.

He stayed for quite a while. He seemed a little --er-- like many of the software people I've dealt with over the years. He was sweet and somewhat engaging and talked a lot. My poor friend didn't quite know what to do or how to handle him. He finally admitted that he was married to a woman. (He was *not* pinging my gaydar, not to worry).

As we sat there, the two of us women greeted several people we knew as they walked by. One woman came and sat with us for a while, but was actually on her way to meet someone else. Finally, the guy left, and my friend, outraged, said "He didn't even *care* whether we wanted us to sit with him!" He probably did, but it didn't occur to him to wonder.

So my friend and I talked for a while until we saw a mutual friend who sat with us and gave us some updates on her recently upheaved life. She told us about a guy who hangs out at the coffee shop who feels like the town is a summer camp. In the morning, he gets up, comes down to the coffee shop (his "mess hall"), sees his friends, has breakfast, and gets on with his day. Our mutual friend left, and my friend and I talked some more until it was time for us to go, too.

I got back to my car and realized we'd been sitting there for 2.5 hours.

No comments: