Saturday, June 04, 2005

following up on two earlier stories

A few days ago, I wrote about the alleged dried fennel that Robert bought. I noted at the time that it looked like dried orange peel. Apparently, the translator was having an exceedingly bad day. Yesterday, Robert dragged out his Chinese dictionaries and discovered that he had bought, yes, a package of dried orange peel. I'm having an especially hard time understanding how the translator arrived at "dried fennel," but at least we now have a better hope of using it appropriately in recipes.

And in other news, we were concerned after Juliet had a seizure that they'd take away her driver's license. To counteract all that electrical activity, she's started taking phenobarbital. I discovered that you can buy it in elixir form (unfortunately, with a nasty cherry smell, but apparently, a good dose of tuna masks the smell sufficiently). At the drug store, the clerk asked about my cat's allergies so he could put them in her record. And after bringing the purchase home, I discovered to my horror that Juliet's life is about to be restricted even further. The bottle contains warnings about: (a) breastfeeding while taking the drug; (b) operating heavy machinery; and (c) drinking alcoholic beverages. And we'd been counting on her to get on our miniature bulldozer and move stumps for us. Darn.

No comments: