I'm starting to think about a pattern of people changing careers. I'm not sure yet whether I want to go into it more deeply or whether there's something of interest to say. I also think there's a gender-related aspect, and I'm not sure if I want to focus on women only or on the men I know (whose career changes are also pretty interesting). So far:
> Me! (female) software engineer > technical writer > ???
> LBM (female) economist > educator
> KE (male) release engineer > starting school to become a radiology technician and eventually combine technical skills with new skills
> BT (male) software engineer > preschool teacher
> GF (male) technical writer & supervisor > LICSW
> LL et al (female) belongs to a group that meets monthly; originally consisted of women who were in healthcare administration. Now they're all doing something else, including one woman who just accepted a position as a president of a college.
> SO'D nuclear engineer (I think) > pipe organ mechanic
LBM points out that we no longer feel tremendous loyalty to our employers (I would say that our employers have broken our trust).
GF points out that some women seem to feel entitled to support from their spouse.
Again, not sure if there's a pattern here, if deeper anecdotes are of interest to others, or what someone reading about this phenomenon (if indeed it is one) would be looking for.
Wednesday, June 23, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment