I realized recently that with each cat, we can fight two to three battles at a time. With Theo, it's about not getting on the counters or tables, not climbing the screens, and not punching the screens when a bug is on the other side. We're seeing huge improvements as he continues to mature and lengthens his attention span.
Koa continues to make good progress, too, though it's always slow and in tiny increments.
My projects with Koa are teaching her to be picked up and passing her in the hall or on the staircase without her freaking out and running away.
In bed, one of her safest zones, I try to pick her up at least once a day and move her just a few inches. Sometimes I put her on my lap and pet her until she wriggles -- usually after a few seconds -- then I pick her up again and put her back on the bed. She flattens herself out as if to allow gravity to take over, to let it pull her down so that she cannot be lifted up again. I try to keep her purring throughout and am usually successful.
Very occasionally, when I am brushing her on my desk, I've picked her up, or at least put my hand under her chest, while keeping her purring and convincing her not to run away.
Walking by her is getting better too. We work on moving slowly, stopping and starting, catching her eye so she knows we've seen her. She sometimes begins to run away, but now frequently stays put, allowing us to pass without squeaking or running for cover.
One of the pleasures of working with Koa is that the more fear she lets go of, the happier she gets. She is turning into an affectionate and joyous little animal. More and more frequently when I come home, she is there to meet me along with Theo.
Partly because all four of us eat at the same time, I often have the company of both cats while I prepare dinner. Often a few treats are distributed. Theo, who used to be too aggressive around treats, now has to sit for treats and dinner. Koa has watched the ritual for a while and often sits too, perhaps out of solidarity. I haven't taught her to sit. Last night, I was pleased when I asked her to sit for a treat and she did. Smart kitty.
Time for bed and a little petting and picking up session with Koa. The work continues. The results are incredibly worth while for both of us.
Tuesday, June 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment